TfL urges safety for Newham cyclists
- Credit: Archant
Cyclists in Newham are being encouraged to look out for each other when using the cycle superhighways.
Two of the current routes run through the borough; CS2 from Ilford to Aldgate and CS3 from Barking to Tower Gateway.
They were launched in 2010 by the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, to improve road safety in the capital.
Three of the cyclists to be killed in London in the past two weeks lost their lives on or near CS2, a route commonly used by Newham commuters.
Leon Daniels, the managing director of TfL Surface Transport, said: “Cycling in London is growing, with almost three times the number of cyclists in the capital than ten years ago.
You may also want to watch:
“We are investing heavily in our cycling programme and our aim is to make cycling as safe as possible
“We would like to ask everyone to look out for each other, take care and follow the rules of the road to remain safe.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Four cycle superhighways currently exist, with a fifth to launch this year and Transport for London aim to have twelve fully functioning routes by 2015.
There have been 14 cycle fatalities across the capital so far this year, six of which have been within the last fortnight.
Canning Town resident Brian Florey was killed after being hit by a lorry on a section of the A13 in Dagenham last year.