More than 1,000 people killed or injured on Newham’s streets, latest TfL figures reveal
PUBLISHED: 07:00 28 September 2018
Dominic Lipinsk/PA Archive/PA Images
There were more than 1,000 casualties on the borough’s roads last year, the latest figures reveal.
Transport for London (TFL) published the annual numbers on Thursday showing 1,105 people were killed or injured.
TfL transport strategy boss Lilli Matson said: “We refuse to accept that any death or serious injury on London’s roads is acceptable or inevitable.
“We will continue to work with the police and all boroughs to meet our target of eliminating all death and serious injury from London’s roads by 2041.”
Two people died on the borough’s roads in 2017 while the number of casualties defined as serious rose 22pc to 147. A total of 956 were recorded as being “slight”.
There were 230 pedestrian and another 91 cyclist casualties. A majority of 535 were car drivers or passengers, according to TfL.
It warned that making direct comparisons between 2017’s figures and those from previous years should be avoided after the Met launched online reporting last year making it easier for people to report incidents themselves.
Ms Matson said that dangerous drivers would be targeted to cut the numbers along with increasing safety at road junctions, lowering speed limits and taking heavy goods vehicles off the roads.
Police Supt Robert Revill said: “Our message is clear, we won’t tolerate illegal and dangerous behaviour. We will take robust action against those that do.
“Excess speed, poor concentration and other risky road user behaviour are undisputed contributors to road traffic collisions. The consequences are devastating for victims and their families.”
The borough’s casualty total is higher than neighbouring Barking and Dagenham (837) but lower than Tower Hamlets (1,303). Newham’s total dropped 10pc on last year’s. Most crashes were caused by cars followed by lorries and motorbikes.
Overall, the number of people killed in the inner London boroughs dropped four per cent in 2017 but the 20 outer London boroughs including Newham saw an increase of 28pc to 77 deaths.
Mayor Sadiq Khan launched an action plan called “Vision Zero” in July vowing to stamp out deaths and serious injuries on the capital’s streets by 2041 laying out measures to encourage more walking and cycling.