Tessa Jowell assists in Newham raids tackling rogue landlords
- Credit: Will Brett
A prospective London Mayor visited the borough this morning to take part in raids tackling rogue landlords.
Dame Tessa Jowell, who is campaigning to be Labour’s candidate for London Mayor, joined Newham’s enforcement team in a series of dawn raids which aim to address landlords that rip off tenants.
In one house that Dame Tessa visited, 12 people were found to be living in a home, which was only supposed to house a single family.
The former MP said: “Far too many Londoners live in appalling or dangerous conditions, or are unfairly evicted by rip off landlords.
As Mayor I would fight tooth and nail to ensure that everyone who rents in our capital get a fair deal.”
She also said that if she became Mayor she would fight for London councils to be given powers to implement a licensing scheme to crackdown on rogue landlords.
The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “The vast majority of landlords are doing their best but some of them are simply preying on the weakest, we have to tackle this issue head on.
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 10 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
“Tessa is absolutely right that we need to crack down on criminal landlords who are exploiting people across London - if we take action in Newham then bad landlords can simply move elsewhere - we need a One London solution.
“We need a mayor who can fight for Londoners - I know Tessa is determined to do that and that’s why I’m supporting her campaign.”
As part of her campaign, Dame Tessa has promised new help for first time buyers through a major ‘rent to buy’ scheme where young Londoners would be able to get a foot on the housing ladder without saving for a deposit.