Tessa Jowell assists in Newham raids tackling rogue landlords
- Credit: Will Brett
A prospective London Mayor visited the borough this morning to take part in raids tackling rogue landlords.
Dame Tessa Jowell, who is campaigning to be Labour’s candidate for London Mayor, joined Newham’s enforcement team in a series of dawn raids which aim to address landlords that rip off tenants.
In one house that Dame Tessa visited, 12 people were found to be living in a home, which was only supposed to house a single family.
The former MP said: “Far too many Londoners live in appalling or dangerous conditions, or are unfairly evicted by rip off landlords.
As Mayor I would fight tooth and nail to ensure that everyone who rents in our capital get a fair deal.”
You may also want to watch:
She also said that if she became Mayor she would fight for London councils to be given powers to implement a licensing scheme to crackdown on rogue landlords.
The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “The vast majority of landlords are doing their best but some of them are simply preying on the weakest, we have to tackle this issue head on.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“Tessa is absolutely right that we need to crack down on criminal landlords who are exploiting people across London - if we take action in Newham then bad landlords can simply move elsewhere - we need a One London solution.
“We need a mayor who can fight for Londoners - I know Tessa is determined to do that and that’s why I’m supporting her campaign.”
As part of her campaign, Dame Tessa has promised new help for first time buyers through a major ‘rent to buy’ scheme where young Londoners would be able to get a foot on the housing ladder without saving for a deposit.