Tessa Jowell assists in Newham raids tackling rogue landlords
- Credit: Will Brett
A prospective London Mayor visited the borough this morning to take part in raids tackling rogue landlords.
Dame Tessa Jowell, who is campaigning to be Labour’s candidate for London Mayor, joined Newham’s enforcement team in a series of dawn raids which aim to address landlords that rip off tenants.
In one house that Dame Tessa visited, 12 people were found to be living in a home, which was only supposed to house a single family.
The former MP said: “Far too many Londoners live in appalling or dangerous conditions, or are unfairly evicted by rip off landlords.
As Mayor I would fight tooth and nail to ensure that everyone who rents in our capital get a fair deal.”
You may also want to watch:
She also said that if she became Mayor she would fight for London councils to be given powers to implement a licensing scheme to crackdown on rogue landlords.
The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “The vast majority of landlords are doing their best but some of them are simply preying on the weakest, we have to tackle this issue head on.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
“Tessa is absolutely right that we need to crack down on criminal landlords who are exploiting people across London - if we take action in Newham then bad landlords can simply move elsewhere - we need a One London solution.
“We need a mayor who can fight for Londoners - I know Tessa is determined to do that and that’s why I’m supporting her campaign.”
As part of her campaign, Dame Tessa has promised new help for first time buyers through a major ‘rent to buy’ scheme where young Londoners would be able to get a foot on the housing ladder without saving for a deposit.