Search

Teenage boy has lucky escape after tea light starts fire at house in Plaistow

PUBLISHED: 19:03 20 August 2013 | UPDATED: 19:13 20 August 2013

Picture: PA

Picture: PA

sub

A teenage boy had a lucky escape after a small tea light set a house ablaze in Plaistow.

A bedroom curtain, on the first floor of the two-storey house, caught fire after a small tea light had been left on a window-sill, according to firefighters.

The boy managed to escape from the house in Avenons Road, off Barking Road, before the London fire Brigade arrived at around 10.30am yesterday morning.

It is believed his mother and brother were out shopping at the time of the fire.

Watch manager at Plaistow fire station, Steve McDermott said: “The boy did well to get out and call us. He was OK but a bit shocked.

“If it had happened in the middle of the night it could potentially have been worse.

“If people use candles they must keep them away from curtains and make sure they have something underneath it like a plate or candle stick holder.”

Around 60 per cent of the first floor was damaged from the heat and smoke.

Firefighters from Plaistow, Poplar and Silvertown attended the fire, which it took about an hour to get under control.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder