Teenage boy has lucky escape after tea light starts fire at house in Plaistow
- Credit: sub
A teenage boy had a lucky escape after a small tea light set a house ablaze in Plaistow.
A bedroom curtain, on the first floor of the two-storey house, caught fire after a small tea light had been left on a window-sill, according to firefighters.
The boy managed to escape from the house in Avenons Road, off Barking Road, before the London fire Brigade arrived at around 10.30am yesterday morning.
It is believed his mother and brother were out shopping at the time of the fire.
Watch manager at Plaistow fire station, Steve McDermott said: “The boy did well to get out and call us. He was OK but a bit shocked.
You may also want to watch:
“If it had happened in the middle of the night it could potentially have been worse.
“If people use candles they must keep them away from curtains and make sure they have something underneath it like a plate or candle stick holder.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
Around 60 per cent of the first floor was damaged from the heat and smoke.
Firefighters from Plaistow, Poplar and Silvertown attended the fire, which it took about an hour to get under control.