Teenage boy has lucky escape after tea light starts fire at house in Plaistow
- Credit: sub
A teenage boy had a lucky escape after a small tea light set a house ablaze in Plaistow.
A bedroom curtain, on the first floor of the two-storey house, caught fire after a small tea light had been left on a window-sill, according to firefighters.
The boy managed to escape from the house in Avenons Road, off Barking Road, before the London fire Brigade arrived at around 10.30am yesterday morning.
It is believed his mother and brother were out shopping at the time of the fire.
Watch manager at Plaistow fire station, Steve McDermott said: “The boy did well to get out and call us. He was OK but a bit shocked.
You may also want to watch:
“If it had happened in the middle of the night it could potentially have been worse.
“If people use candles they must keep them away from curtains and make sure they have something underneath it like a plate or candle stick holder.”
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 10 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
Around 60 per cent of the first floor was damaged from the heat and smoke.
Firefighters from Plaistow, Poplar and Silvertown attended the fire, which it took about an hour to get under control.