Teen wins £5000 grant to start up theatre school in Newham
- Credit: Archant
A teenage entrepreneur has won a £5000 grant to help set up his own theatre school.
Luke Footman, of Newark Knok, Beckton, won the live final of the WannaBAnEntrepreneur contest on Sunday, April 6, at the Skylark Hotel in Southend, Essex.
He saw off competition from more than 400 rivals to make the five-person final.
The budding entrepreneur delivered a winning pitch of his idea to create the Confortatus Theatre School, which will aim to provide young people in east London with opportunities in performing arts.
Speaking about his project, 17-year-old Luke said: “I want to help develop a positive image of young people in Newham, offer them a platform for expression and encourage them to follow their dreams.
“The lack of free opportunities for young people to get involved in performing arts inspired me to set up the school.”
Luke is also part of the Jack Petchey Foundation Achiever’s Network, which aims to develop leadership skills and gives members the opportunity to get involved with the foundation’s events and projects.
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 3 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 4 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 5 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 6 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 7 West Ham United's Areola aiming for one better in Europe
- 8 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
He said: “Being part of the achiever’s network has given me the confidence and experience required to start up on my own.
“I now want to help raise the aspirations of other young people.”
Schenell Stephens, who runs the achiever’s network, said: “Luke is very driven and determined to succeed with his project.
“I am sure Confortatus will be a huge success in the coming months and years.”
Workshops and taster sessions for the theatre school will be taking place at St Marks Community Centre, Tollgate Road, Beckton, on June 7, 14 and 21.
For more information on the project or to get involved, visit Confortatus Theatre School on Facebook or Twitter @CTheatreSchool or call Luke on 07415354666.