Teen admits murder of Aliza, 18
Facing life sentence for fatal stabbing
A TEENAGER is facing a life sentence after he admitted murdering an A-level student as she made her way to a party.
Yahya Gul, 18, stabbed sixth former Aliza Mirza, also 18, to death in a side street in Manor Park, on April 3.
Gul had previously denied murder and was facing trial at the Old Bailey today.
But as the case was about to start he was rearraigned by the court clerk and pleaded guilty to murder.
You may also want to watch:
Aliza, who had two brothers and two sisters, was studying ICT, English, government and politics and media at Canon Palmer School in Ilford.
She was found lying face down in a pool of blood by a passer by and pronounced dead at Whipps Cross Hospital that night.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 6 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 10 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
Gul, of Charlbury Gardens, Ilford, Essex, will be sentenced later today.