Teen admits murder of Aliza, 18
Facing life sentence for fatal stabbing
A TEENAGER is facing a life sentence after he admitted murdering an A-level student as she made her way to a party.
Yahya Gul, 18, stabbed sixth former Aliza Mirza, also 18, to death in a side street in Manor Park, on April 3.
Gul had previously denied murder and was facing trial at the Old Bailey today.
But as the case was about to start he was rearraigned by the court clerk and pleaded guilty to murder.
You may also want to watch:
Aliza, who had two brothers and two sisters, was studying ICT, English, government and politics and media at Canon Palmer School in Ilford.
She was found lying face down in a pool of blood by a passer by and pronounced dead at Whipps Cross Hospital that night.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
Gul, of Charlbury Gardens, Ilford, Essex, will be sentenced later today.