Team GB stars support new charity funding hopes of Newham youngsters
Newham College and the Tessa Sanderson’s sports academy have created a new charity to help fund high achievers and sporting hopes of the future.
The Learning Revolution Trust will be launched at the college’s East Ham Campus with a fashion show and an auction on November 1 hosted by Olympic gold medalist and Stratford local Tessa Sanderson CBE who is also patron of the new Trust.
Another inspirational Stratford woman - Olympic gold and silver 400m sprinter Christine Ohuruogu MBE - will also be in attendance with four times Paralympic gold medalist wheelchair racer David Weir Paralympic, bronze medalists in table tennis and sprinting Jane Campbell and Ola Abidogun, and 13-year-old swimming finalist Amy Marren.
Tessa said: “Just like an investment, charity can be vital if you want to achieve.
“Our Olympic team and the National Lottery not only showed that but have also given us a marvellous inspiration.
“We want to take that inspiration and use it to improve lives through the transformational power of learning.
“Donations from businesses will help ensure that people from east London get the opportunity to access further education and in sports, no matter what financial barriers they face.”
- 1 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 2 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 3 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 4 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 5 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 6 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 7 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 8 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 9 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
The Recorder have already donated to the cause along with a number of community-spirited businesses such as Capita IT Services, MCA Consulting, Learning Curve, Open College Network Eastern Region, Reed Specialist Recruitment, International Hotel Group, and Pexhurst Services Ltd.
Other Trust patrons and supporters include Newham MPs Stephen Timms and Lyn Brown, Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales, entreprenurs Levi Roots, Iqbal Wahhab, Dave Bance, fashion guru Zandra Rhodes, Savile Row tailor Philip Parker, and singer Lemar.