Team GB stars support new charity funding hopes of Newham youngsters
Newham College and the Tessa Sanderson’s sports academy have created a new charity to help fund high achievers and sporting hopes of the future.
The Learning Revolution Trust will be launched at the college’s East Ham Campus with a fashion show and an auction on November 1 hosted by Olympic gold medalist and Stratford local Tessa Sanderson CBE who is also patron of the new Trust.
Another inspirational Stratford woman - Olympic gold and silver 400m sprinter Christine Ohuruogu MBE - will also be in attendance with four times Paralympic gold medalist wheelchair racer David Weir Paralympic, bronze medalists in table tennis and sprinting Jane Campbell and Ola Abidogun, and 13-year-old swimming finalist Amy Marren.
Tessa said: “Just like an investment, charity can be vital if you want to achieve.
“Our Olympic team and the National Lottery not only showed that but have also given us a marvellous inspiration.
You may also want to watch:
“We want to take that inspiration and use it to improve lives through the transformational power of learning.
“Donations from businesses will help ensure that people from east London get the opportunity to access further education and in sports, no matter what financial barriers they face.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
The Recorder have already donated to the cause along with a number of community-spirited businesses such as Capita IT Services, MCA Consulting, Learning Curve, Open College Network Eastern Region, Reed Specialist Recruitment, International Hotel Group, and Pexhurst Services Ltd.
Other Trust patrons and supporters include Newham MPs Stephen Timms and Lyn Brown, Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales, entreprenurs Levi Roots, Iqbal Wahhab, Dave Bance, fashion guru Zandra Rhodes, Savile Row tailor Philip Parker, and singer Lemar.