Team GB captain launches basketball initiative at Copper Box
- Credit: Archant
Budding basketball stars were given the chance to meet Team GB captain Drew Sullivan at the launch of a new initiative.
Sullivan, who is also a forward for the London Lions, was at the Copper Box to launch the Better Basketball programme, which aims to get youngsters involved in the sport.
He said: “Grassroots basketball programmes are where any basketball player starts, whether they play at an international level, the British Basketball League or in a Community Basketball League.
“Quality basketball courses like the Better Basketball programme keep people in the sport longer whether that’s taking part competitively, socially or moving into coaching roles.”
The initiative, run by leisure operator GLL, is based around a structured award scheme and will offer courses to children aged five to 11.
You may also want to watch:
Participants on the 14-week course will have the chance to win tickets to London Lions’ matches and meet some of the team’s players.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 5 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 6 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences