There With You: Rokeby School foodbank remains open for business during coronavirus crisis
- Credit: Archant
The Rokeby School is closed due to coronavirus, but teacher Omer Bashir says the foodbank remains open for business.
Omer — foodbank coordinator and head of year 11 — is desperate to give back to his community as a former student of the Canning Town school.
Though he is self-isolating due to having a pregnant wife and young child, Omer is coordinating with his colleagues to help Newham residents: “Over the last couple of weeks we have helped 16 vulnerable families by providing food packages.”
He added that 75% of the packages are home-delivered, ensuring they can remain in compliance with government guidelines.
Omer says that this initiative typifies the spirit at Rokeby, highlighting an example where his colleague delivered a package to Chigwell to a family living in temporary accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
The teacher knows the need is now greater than ever, as covid-19 is certain to negatively impact a borough where “43% of children already live in poverty”.
For further information, call 020 7540 5620.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 10 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham