Table tennis club to launch in East Village
- Credit: Phil Mingo/Pinnacle
A new community ping pong club will start next month with the aim of giving more people the chance to take part in a fun, social sport.
The Community Table Tennis and Table Cricket Club will launch on Wednesday, February 3, at Chobham Academy, in Steering Lane from 5pm.
The group will aim to build on the successful Active People, Active Park taster sessions held across Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park over the past the last two years, and the enthusiasm at the school to build a sustainable social club in the park.
Open to anyone over the age of 16, the weekly hour-long coached sessions will cost £2.
For those unfamiliar with table cricket, the game is played on a table tennis table or similar sized surface area with side panels featuring nine sliding fielders.
You may also want to watch:
A plastic ball is bowled by a ball launcher from one side of the pitch, while at the other the batter has a wooden bat.
Contact Duncan Jenkinson, the London development officer for Table Tennis England on 07421 748625 for more information.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 7 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches