Stunning second half comeback steers O’s to win at Scunthorpe

League One: Scunthorpe United 2 Leyton Orient 3

Orient produced a stunning second-half comeback at Glanford Park to record back-to-back wins and climb off the foot of the League One table as two-goal Kevin Lisbie emerged as the O’s hero.

Orient trailed at half-time to an Andy Barcham strike on the half-hour – but in an amazing 20-minute spell at the start of the second half, Lisbie struck twice, while Scott Cuthbert also netted.

But then Barcham quickly grabbed a second to set up a nail-biting finish, but the O’s held on and are now just two points from safety after recording two wins and a draw from their last three games.

O’s were forced into a reshuffle as Ben Chorley was ruled out with a thigh strain and George Porter failed to recover from the dead leg he suffered against Preston North End.

So fit-again Charlie Daniels returned at left back and David Mooney came into the starting line-up, with Leon McSweeney switching to the right of the defence.

In a disappointing first half it was O’s who had the first real chance on just two minutes when David Mooney fired a right-footed effort over the bar.

Most Read

Both sides struggled to get a grip, but it was Barcham, who played 25 games on loan at Orient three seasons ago , that fired Scunthorpe ahead on 31 minutes.

Chris Dagnall found Barcham and he was given too much time and space and netted with an effort from the edge of the box that took a wicked deflection and although O’s keeper Lee Butcher got a hand to the ball he could not stop it drifting into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

But it took the O’s just 41 seconds to level things up at the start of the second half when Lisbie netted with a one-on-one finish through the keeper’s legs after Mooney provided the defence-splitting pass.

Slade’s half-time team talk must have been inspirational, as within five minutes of the restart the O’s had wiped out the deficit and were in front and Lisbie was the marksman again.

This time skipper Stephen Dawson was the architect and provided the cross from left for the striker to head home from eight yards with a downward header.

Dean Cox almost added a third but fired wide after good work by Lisbie, but as O’s dominated the game at the start of the second half, the third goal did not take too long to arrive.

Slade’s side were still looking for their first away win of the season in the league and must have thought they were in dreamland when Scott Cuthbert scored his first for the club on 67 minutes when he headed home a Charlie Daniels free-kick.

But the safety of a two-goal cushion lasted just two minutes as Barcham hauled the Iron back into the game with a shot from the edge of the area.

That was the signal for Scunthorpe to pile on the pressure in the closing stages and Butcher saved an effort from Michael O’Connor, then Cuthbert blocked a shot from Shane Duffy.

But although O’s defended deeply, the home side were unable to make their pressure count. Terrell Forbes and Cuthbert were solid at the heart of the defence and McSweeney also did well.

However, the star performer was skipper Dawson, who turned in a majestic midfield misplay as the O’s season starts to pick up.

Scunthorpe United: Johnstone, Togwell, Nelson, S Duffy, Nolan, Thompson (M Duffy 60 mins), Mozika, O’Connor, Barcham, Dagnall, Ajose (Grant 68 mins), Subs: Slocombe, Wright, Reid.

Leyton Orient: Butcher, McSweeney, Forbes, Cuthbert, Daniels, Spring, Lisbie, Dawson, Clarke, Cox (Cureton 84 mins), Mooney. Subs: Lovelock, Omozusi, Laird, Cestor.

Orient bookings: Daniels, Mooney, Lisbie.

Referee: Mark Heywood

Attendance: 4,234 (in 251 Orient fans)

<a href="" >Live Orient web chat</a>