Students’ insight into motor industry in Plaistow
A group of GCSE students gained a valuable insight into the motor industry with a visit to a local car dealership.
The 25 students from the Fourteen to Nineteen Partnership visited Dagenham Motors Plaistow, in Plaistow Road, to learn more about the motor industry and the career opportunities available.
They learnt about the roles and functions of working in new and used car sales before enjoying a tour of the service and after-sales departments. The students also learned more about the technology used in the latest models with a demonstration of Active Park Assist, where the Ford Focus parks itself at the touch of a button.
Sharon Grainger, of the Fourteen to Nineteen Partnership, said: The students really enjoyed touring the Dagenham Motors dealership and witnessing all the different career paths on offer. Meeting the staff at Dagenham Motors and experiencing a working dealership was really inspiring for our students and I know they gained a lot from the opportunity.
“It was a great chance for the students to learn more about the industry first hand.”
Mark Cundy, general manager at Dagenham Motors, said: “I am very glad the students enjoyed their time here. It was a pleasure to have them visit the dealership and I hope they took as much from the visit as possible.”
The visit was part of the Institute of the Motor Industry’s (IMI) ‘Headlight’ programme, designed to encourage young people to consider a career in the motor industry. Dagenham Motors recently partnered with the programme and has been inviting local schools registered with the scheme to come and tour its dealerships across London.
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 3 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
For more information about the IMI ‘Headlight’ campaign visit: www.motor.org.uk/careers/headlight.html