Students’ insight into motor industry in Plaistow
A group of GCSE students gained a valuable insight into the motor industry with a visit to a local car dealership.
The 25 students from the Fourteen to Nineteen Partnership visited Dagenham Motors Plaistow, in Plaistow Road, to learn more about the motor industry and the career opportunities available.
They learnt about the roles and functions of working in new and used car sales before enjoying a tour of the service and after-sales departments. The students also learned more about the technology used in the latest models with a demonstration of Active Park Assist, where the Ford Focus parks itself at the touch of a button.
Sharon Grainger, of the Fourteen to Nineteen Partnership, said: The students really enjoyed touring the Dagenham Motors dealership and witnessing all the different career paths on offer. Meeting the staff at Dagenham Motors and experiencing a working dealership was really inspiring for our students and I know they gained a lot from the opportunity.
“It was a great chance for the students to learn more about the industry first hand.”
Mark Cundy, general manager at Dagenham Motors, said: “I am very glad the students enjoyed their time here. It was a pleasure to have them visit the dealership and I hope they took as much from the visit as possible.”
The visit was part of the Institute of the Motor Industry’s (IMI) ‘Headlight’ programme, designed to encourage young people to consider a career in the motor industry. Dagenham Motors recently partnered with the programme and has been inviting local schools registered with the scheme to come and tour its dealerships across London.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 5 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 6 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 7 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
For more information about the IMI ‘Headlight’ campaign visit: www.motor.org.uk/careers/headlight.html