Students get jobs boost at workshop
A group of students from Newham gave their jobs prospects a boost at a workshop designed to give them the edge in the workplace.
Tseven taking place across the UK between February and March, sponsored by Clydesdale & Yorkshire Banks, which supports the programme nationally.
During the day, students benefited from an agenda that included a business game facilitated by global accountancy body ACCA, a career management workshop hosted by Penna and an interactive session that helped students learn about the economy in their own region.
Nicole from Newham College of Further Education, Stratford said: “The workshops were very helpful and interesting. I have gained more confidence and also communication skills. I was able to meet new people during the workshop, which added to the links with people I already have.”
Divisional Director Will Lindsay at Clydesdale Bank (South) said: “Our business has a strong relationship with Career Academies UK and my colleagues in Newham were delighted to take part in the economic workshop, which was a huge success. For the last four years the Bank has run six-week internships in partnership with Career Academies UK, which has resulted in a number of students securing full-time employment with the Bank.”
You may also want to watch:
The pioneering two-year Career Academy programme, equivalent to three A-levels, helps students get ahead as they progress to higher education or into the world of work. Study is complemented by one-to-one mentoring with employee volunteers and regular workshops hosted by business partners. he teenagers from Newham College of Further Education were among 65 16-19-year-olds who were involved in the event organised by Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks, global HR services group Penna and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) to help boost employability skills.
The event, held at Dragon Hall Community Centre, Covent Garden, gave students in the second year of the Career Academy programme at Newham College the chance to network, compare experiences and participate in a day of activities run by leading employers including Clydesdale & Yorkshire Banks, Penna and ACCA.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
It was one of