Stratford writer sets up group to share her passion
- Credit: Archant
Passionate artist and poet Sonia Quintero has travelled the globe with her tales.
When she’s not pubishing books, the Colombian-born writer is planning her next book and group poetry sessions.
Sonia, 45, who lives in Stratford, moved from the South American nation of Colombia and now hosts poetry sessions at Stratford library and Play, Sow and Grow events.
“I have published two books in Spanish and also illustrated my books,” she said.
“I felt that to be part of the community, it’s good to start something you feel passionate about and meet others that way.”
You may also want to watch:
Sonia’s idea was to set up the poetry groups, which draw more than 40 people into each class.
“The idea of the group is to eventually publish a book at the end of the year with our best work in,” she said
- 1 Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- 2 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 3 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 4 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
Sonia, who moved to Stratford three years ago, has been writing for as long as she can remember.
“I have been writing poetry all my life,” she said. “At first I used to write alot of romantic poems, but since moving to London it has changed alot and become more personal.”
Visit meetup.com/Stratford-Poetry-group to find out more about the group.