Stratford theatre wins Olivier award
Theatre Royal Stratford East has won an award for staging a play about sex trafficking set in east London.
Roadkill was staged at the theatre in Gerry Raffles Square in autumn last year.
The show, which was a sell-out in Paris, won the Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliate Theatre in the London 2012 Laurence Olivier Awards.
Roadkill took audiences on a journey to a house seomehere in east London to tell the powerful story of the terrifying complexities of sex trafficking today, based on real experieinces.
There were chilling performances combined with video and animation that brought audiences face to face to with the brutal and hidden truth about the reality for one woman trapped in a living nightmare.
You may also want to watch:
Kerry Michael, Artistic Director at the theatre, said: “We are delighted to have to have received this award that recognises the quality and relevance of this work that Stratford East is presenting and I’m really pleased that the actors who were outstanding in this production have been recognised as well as the creative team especially Cora Bissett who conceived and directed the project. It is also a fantastic celebration of our partnership with Barbican.”
The play was produced by Pachamama Productions and Richard Productions in association with Traverse Theatre. The London season of the play was presented by Theatre Royal Stratford East in association with the Barbican.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 3 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw
- 8 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 9 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 10 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa