Stratford theatre launches scheme to find new writing talent
- Credit: Archant
Theatre Royal Stratford East has partnered up with Perfect Pitch for a scheme which will see a new British writing team awarded with a £12,000 prize fund.
Both theatre companies have teamed up to introduce the Perfect Pitch Award for Musical Theatre Writing in a bid to find the best new writing talent.
The scheme encourages writers to apply as individuals. Successful candidates will be paired up with a collaborator to work on a 10 minute pitch of a new musical.
The pitch will then be presented in front of a panel of experienced industry judges.
The final pitching event will take place in February next year. The winning team will be awarded the £12,000 prize fund and will be tasked with writing a full draft of a new show in a 12-month period, with a view to having the piece presented in a professional staged reading or production of the piece.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Barnes, Executive Director at Perfect Pitch said: “We have been chatting with the team at Theatre Royal Stratford East for a while about working together on a project and after we invited Kerry to sit on the judging panel for our last Award, it felt like a natural progression to collaborate together this time around.”
Kerry Michael, Artistic Director at Theatre Royal Stratford East added: “Creating new musical theatre is a key part of the work we do here so we are always looking to discover new artists to work with.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
“We’re delighted to be partnering Perfect Pitch on this project and hope to find original storytellers that want, like us, to re-fresh the way new musicals are presented.”
For more information on the application process, visit stratfordeast.com/perfect-pitch.
The final date for applications is July 20.