Stratford teacher honoured by Prince Charles at Clarence House
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall said thank you to a Stratford teacher at Clarence House for creating lasting London 2012 memories in the mind of her pupils.
Around 120 Olympics volunteers, 30 London Ambassadors and 40 members of the military who gave up their time to make the Olympic and Paralympic Games a success were invited to a reception held by Charles and Camilla.
The royal couple chatted and joked with the inspirational individuals who came together to help make this year’s summer of sport one to remember.
Among them was Katie Parks, assistant headteacher of Colegrave Primary School in Henniker Road, who coached her pupils through a number of extraordinary experiences so they would get the most out of living on the edge of the Olympic Park.
Katie chaperoned the children as they rehearsed and performed in the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games as patients in the NHS scene, she oversaw a string of athletes’ visits including Team GB boxer Nicola Adams and sprint legend Michael Johnson, integrated Colegrave’s membership of the Get Set Network with their curriculum, and she co-ordinated a series of TV appearances on the BBC and ITV.
You may also want to watch:
Katie says she spoke to the royal couple about the pupils’ role in the Opening Ceremony and had to make formal introductions on behalf of her group.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs