Stratford students practice Olympic values
Students at a Newham school have been telling a group of sustainability ambassadors how they are using the Olympic and Paralympic values.
Rokeby School’s student leadership groups met 2012 Sustainability Ambassadors Deborah Meaden (Dragons Den), Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs), Jonathan Porrit (Green Environmentalist) and a number of LOCOG dignitaries.
Hasibullah Waziri (Student Leader, Head Boy), Shadman Rafid (Rokeby Blue), Jordan Dawood (Values Ambassador) and Torien Foster (Rokeby Gazette) each gave a brief presentation on their roles at the Stratford school. They went into detail on how they have linked the school’s values and Olympic/Paralympic Values and promoted them as a part of their individual areas of responsibility.
The visitors were taken to see part of a Philosophy for Children lesson which was being led by two of the studentP4C Champions, Corey Somefun and Wasibullah Waziri. The enquiry focused on the question “Have we forgotten the true meaning of the Olympics/Paralympics”? Much discussion and debate followed concentrating on the commercialisation of the Olympics/Paralympics and how people just wanted to make money out of the event.
Next on their tour was a Year 7 Humanities lesson where students were working on a sustainability project where they had to design and make their own Olympic village. Deborah Meaden commented to one group that while they had thought of most of the amenities needed, where was the bank?
You may also want to watch:
The visit concluded with the school’s ‘Get Set Network’ plaque being presented by Jonathan Porrit and a photograph.
- 1 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 2 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 9 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections