Stratford station ‘top of the stops’
- Credit: PA WIRE
Stratford has made it to the top of the stops after new data revealed the country’s busiest railway stations.
The commuter hub has seen an increase of nearly five million journeys, totalling almost 31m entries and exit last year, a report by the Office of Rail and Road revealed yesterday.
While last on the top-ten list, Stratford’s through traffic dwarfs that of some other rather quieter pit stops.
Shippea Hill in Cambridgeshire had just 22 entries and exits across the whole of last year – a stark contrast to the UK’s busiest station Waterloo, which boasted more than 99.2m one-way journeys.
The ‘top of the stops’ report recorded the estimated number of entries and exits - based on the total number of people travelling from or to the station.
You may also want to watch:
Almost all of the top-10 busiest rail stations were in London, with the exception of Birmingham New Street station, said to have 35.3 million passenger entries and exits at the station last year.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham