Stratford stabbing victim named as Mohammed Yasser Afzal
- Credit: Archant
Police have named the man fatally stabbed in Stratford last night as Mohammed Yasser Afzal.
Metropolitan Police confirmed that he was stabbed inside E20 Cars on Broadway, Stratford, where he was believed to be working as a controller and dispatcher.
The 22-year-old, of Forest Gate, was stabbed in the neck at around 8pm last night and died in hospital later that evening.
Detectives are treating the death as murder and are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed anything to come forward.
DCI John Sandlin said: “At this early stage in our investigation I wish to identify a man who was seen outside E20 Cars between approximately 19:45 - 20:00hrs.
“We understand this man entered the premises briefly before leaving and running towards Chant Street, E15.
“We know the man was carrying a ‘JD Sports’ drawstring plastic bag and was wearing a distinctive deer stalker type hat which has flaps covering his ears.
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
- 8 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 9 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 10 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
“I would urge anyone who may have seen him running towards Chant Street or nearby to call the incident room as soon as possible.”
Police are asking anyone with information to call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.