Firefighters tackle Stratford shop fire
- Credit: Adriana Elgueta
Ten fire engines and around 70 firefighters tackled a blaze at a shop in Leytonstone Road, Stratford.
A small area of the shop, New Local Tools, on the ground floor of the two-storey mid-terraced block of flats was alight
A woman left the building before the brigade arrived and was taken to hospital by London Ambulance crews as a precaution. No injuries have been reported.
A 100-metre cordon has been erected around the site of the fire and Leytonstone Road is closed to traffic.
Station commander Keith Carmichael, who is was the scene, said: “This is a challenging incident because the fire is inside the cavity between the ceiling of the basement and the ground floor of the property.
You may also want to watch:
"Fire crews are breaking into the fascia and walls of the property to access the fire and extinguish it, using thermal imaging cameras and wearing breathing apparatus.
“As fire crews gain access the blaze, thick smoke is escaping. We advise local residents to keep their doors and windows closed.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
The brigade was called at 5pm. Fire crews from Stratford, Leytonstone, Leyton, Plaistow and Homerton fire stations are attending the scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by the brigade’s Fire Investigation Unit and the Metropolitan Police Service.