Stratford’s Theatre Royal awarded £50,000 donation
- Credit: Archant
Theatre Royal Stratford East has been awarded £50,000 a year for the next four years following the death of a former patron.
Jean Brown, who died following a battle with cancer, was a regular visitor to the popular theatre.
As a result, an organisation set up in her memory, called The Sahara Care Charitable Trust, has pledged £50,000 a year for the next four years to “the theatre she once loved”.
The Theatre has also named the dress circle in Jean’s honour.
Terence Brown, Jean’s husband and Chair of the Trust and Sahara Care, said: “The Theatre was an important part of Jean’s life and there was also a strong connection between the theatre and West Ham United the club Jean and I have both supported since childhood.
You may also want to watch:
“I am told the first play about our football club took place at the theatre before the First World War. I do hope our donation will go some way towards helping the theatre continue its outstanding work and contribution to the people of east London because I know that is what Jean would want.”
To mark the occasion two service users from Sahara Care handed over a cheque to the theatre’s artistic director Kerry Michael.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
Kerry Michael said: “Jean was a regular face at the theatre and one of our great supporters, so it’s fitting that we name the dress circle in her memory. We are hugely grateful to Terry, Sharon and Sahara Homes for this long term donation. It will make a huge difference and allow us to continue to bring quality theatre to the people of Newham and east London.”
The Sahara Care Charitable Trust has helped a number of causes in and around east London and most recently donated £100,000 towards the construction of the Jean Brown Wing at the Richard House children’s hospice. A
major donation was also made towards the Jean Brown Sports Arena in Redbridge. The centre was the largest training arena built for the London Olympics.