Stratford’s own Christine Ohuruogu backs legacy sports programme
Bathe in the afterglow of London’s Olympics by having a go at sport
After the London 2012 Olympics comes the sporting legacy. And a nationwide grassroots campaign to capture the once in a lifetime opportunity of hosting the Games in the UK will see 5,000 events happen across the UK this weekend.
In the immediate afterglow of the extravaganza, a dozen sporting events are taking place at community venues across Newham, ranging from martial arts and fitness to two wheel power and football.
For full details of the ‘Join In Local Sport’, an independent charity funded by government, can be found at the dedicated website www.joininuk.org – and enter you post code.
And backing came from Stratford’s own Christine Ohuruogu, MBE, 400 metres gold medallist at the Beijing Games and silver medallist at the London 2012 Olympics, who said: “Let’s all take advantage of the spirit of London 2012 by joining in this weekend and going back to where it all begins at your local sports clubs.”
You may also want to watch:
David Moorcroft, former 5,000 m world record holder and Director of Sport at Join in, said:
“No host country has ever done what we are trying to do with the ‘Join In’ weekend and that is to capture this magic moment for all time. The ‘Join in’ weekend is a great opportunity to harness the enthusiasm generated by the Games, for sport and for volunteering, and channel it through local sports clubs - which is where every great champion starts out.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford