Stratford’s newest building celebrates milestone
- Credit: Archant
A new development that will provide a 28-storey building for student accommodation has celebrated the completion of its structural construction phase.
The building, which is called UNITE Stratford, features 1,001 bedrooms, is located next to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and Westfield Stratford City shopping centre, marked the milestone with a topping out ceremony.
It was built by the UNITE Group, the UK’s leading operator of purpose built student accommodation, and is due to open for the 2014/15 academic year.
Today’s topping out ceremony was performed by Dennis Hone, Chief Executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, the organisation responsible for the long-term planning management and maintenance of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and its facilities after the London 2012 Games.
He said : “UNITE’s early commitment to supporting the legacy of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic games through their investment in Stratford will bring a new community of students to a vibrant area of London. Students are often a catalyst for regeneration, bringing a positive impact to local communities and I am delighted to see the next stage of regeneration in the area unfold.”
Richard Simpson, Managing Director of Property for UNITE, said: “The completion of UNITE Stratford represents a significant addition to UNITE’s London portfolio. The completion supports our ambition to grow our market share of competitively priced student accommodation in London where demand for student accommodation exceeds supply.
“We know from other developments in London and across the country in places such as Glasgow and Bristol that UNITE properties can provide a real catalyst for regeneration. Research with our London residents has shown that, contrary to some perceptions, students want to feel part of the wider community in which they live. We’re delighted to be a part of the 2012 Olympic Legacy and know this fantastic location will be a big draw for students.”
- 1 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 2 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 3 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Wellens wants fans 'out in force' as Leyton Orient host Mansfield
- 6 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 7 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 8 Polio: Symptoms, vaccines and what you need to know
- 9 Young children in east London to be offered polio booster jabs
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
UNITE Stratford made up of 66 studios and 101 shared flats, all with en-suite bathrooms. It boasts panoramic views across London, with roof terraces and a common room that looks over Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.