Stratford’s new university library shortlisted for architects award
- Credit: Archant
The University of East London’s £14 million Stratford Library has been shortlisted for awards which recognise buildings that improve their communities.
The library, which opened in September 2013, has been shortlisted for the prestigious Civic Trust Awards 2014 National and International Finals. It is based in the heart of Stratford and was created by architects Hopkins.
Cathy Walsh, the university’s Director of Library and Learning, said: “We are really pleased to have our library voted a finalist in this year’s Civic Trust Awards, from over 200 applications from all over the world – it’s very rewarding.
“Libraries are central to the learning experience and already our new building is extremely busy as our students make the most of the impressive, new facilities.”
Michael Taylor, senior partner with architects Hopkins, said: “We are delighted to be shortlisted for a Civic Trust Award for the new library at UEL, which is proving to be a much valued academic space on their Stratford Campus.”
You may also want to watch:
The library has 150,000 items of stock on three floors, covering law, social sciences, sport and biosciences, psychology, education and performing arts. It also features state-of-the-art learning spaces for collaborative study as well as “silent study” rooms.
The library was created in consultation with students who were able to get involved at every stage of the design process. It features a 24-hour café area, Wi-Fi throughout the building and open-access computers.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
The Civic Trust Awards were launched in 1959 and recognise the very best in architecture, design, planning, landscape and public art.
The Awards Ceremony will held in Blackpool on March 7.