Stratford’s new university library shortlisted for architects award
- Credit: Archant
The University of East London’s £14 million Stratford Library has been shortlisted for awards which recognise buildings that improve their communities.
The library, which opened in September 2013, has been shortlisted for the prestigious Civic Trust Awards 2014 National and International Finals. It is based in the heart of Stratford and was created by architects Hopkins.
Cathy Walsh, the university’s Director of Library and Learning, said: “We are really pleased to have our library voted a finalist in this year’s Civic Trust Awards, from over 200 applications from all over the world – it’s very rewarding.
“Libraries are central to the learning experience and already our new building is extremely busy as our students make the most of the impressive, new facilities.”
Michael Taylor, senior partner with architects Hopkins, said: “We are delighted to be shortlisted for a Civic Trust Award for the new library at UEL, which is proving to be a much valued academic space on their Stratford Campus.”
You may also want to watch:
The library has 150,000 items of stock on three floors, covering law, social sciences, sport and biosciences, psychology, education and performing arts. It also features state-of-the-art learning spaces for collaborative study as well as “silent study” rooms.
The library was created in consultation with students who were able to get involved at every stage of the design process. It features a 24-hour café area, Wi-Fi throughout the building and open-access computers.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
The Civic Trust Awards were launched in 1959 and recognise the very best in architecture, design, planning, landscape and public art.
The Awards Ceremony will held in Blackpool on March 7.