Stratford residents mark Armed Forces Day with summer party
- Credit: Archant
Residents commemorated Armed Forces Day on Saturday with a party that helped raise cash for charity.
More than 60 people spent the evening at Stratford Community Centre in Community Road, Stratford where they danced to a live band. They also enjoyed a disco and a barbecue in the garden where children played. The centre was decorated wih traditional flags.
A raffle helped raise £212 which will be donated to a charity for the armed forces. The winning ticket belonged to Sid Osborne, 80, a former soldier, who attended the party wearing his campaign medals and his regimental cap.
The party was organised Community Road Tenants and Residents Association with £250 in funding from Newham Council’s Let’s Get The Party Started initiative.
Pam Board, the secretary of the association, thanked everyone who helped make it a success.
You may also want to watch:
Across the borough the occasion was marked by Newham Council raising the armed forces flag at Newham Town Hall in East Ham and the Old Town Hall in Stratford.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah