Stratford residents mark Armed Forces Day with summer party
- Credit: Archant
Residents commemorated Armed Forces Day on Saturday with a party that helped raise cash for charity.
More than 60 people spent the evening at Stratford Community Centre in Community Road, Stratford where they danced to a live band. They also enjoyed a disco and a barbecue in the garden where children played. The centre was decorated wih traditional flags.
A raffle helped raise £212 which will be donated to a charity for the armed forces. The winning ticket belonged to Sid Osborne, 80, a former soldier, who attended the party wearing his campaign medals and his regimental cap.
The party was organised Community Road Tenants and Residents Association with £250 in funding from Newham Council’s Let’s Get The Party Started initiative.
Pam Board, the secretary of the association, thanked everyone who helped make it a success.
You may also want to watch:
Across the borough the occasion was marked by Newham Council raising the armed forces flag at Newham Town Hall in East Ham and the Old Town Hall in Stratford.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley