Stratford police station saved from closure
- Credit: Archant
Stratford police station has been saved after it was earmarked for closure by the Mayor of London’s office.
Newham Borough Commander Rob Jones will announce the good news in full in an Opinion piece to be published in the Recorder on Wednesday.
Chf Supt Jones said: “For Newham Police, it was essential to keep the front counter open to the public; local residents in E15 and E20 should be able to contact us in person, as well as assisting the thousands of visitors that pass through the area every month.
“I strongly believe despite all the different ways available of reporting crime – online, by letter or telephone – that talking to an officer in person can be the most reassuring and efficient way of dealing with concerns.”
The police station on West Ham Lane was targeted for closure along with North Woolwich police station as part of plans to slash the Metropolitan Police’s budget by £500million over three years by the London Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime (MOPAC).
You may also want to watch:
Chf Supt Jones was met with applause from members of the public when he vowed to fight to keep the station open at a consultation meeting on plans at Old Town Hall Stratford last month.
He will also talk about the challenges the new Chobham Safer Neighbourhoods Team will face policing the Olympic Park.
- 1 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham