Stratford Old Town Hall goes red
One of Newham’s most iconic structures, the Old Town Hall in Stratford, will be bathed in red light later on today in a bid to raise awareness of heart disease.
Councillor Clive Furness will be throwing the switch at at 4.45pm this afternoon. There will also be a raft of heart health advice and information available for residents who come along with the opportunity to make a donation for a very worthy cause.
The Old Town Hall will remain red for a week as Newham Council shows its commitment as a Heart Town to an initiative launched by the British Heart Foundation.
The initiative will bring communities together through local fundraising and volunteering as well as raising awareness of heart disease.
February is National Heart Month which is the ideal time to highlight the importance of thinking about your heart health, and to raise vital funds for the BHF to help beat the nation’s biggest killer.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Furness, who is executive member for health, said: “Promoting the health and wellbeing of residents is very important to Newham Council. Newham is proud to be a Heart Town and is delighted to support the British Heart Foundation’s fundraising campaign, helping local people to become more aware of the simple steps they can take to maintain a healthy heart.”
As part of National Heart Month, the BHF is encouraging everyone to support its Red for Heart fundraising campaign and it’s really easy to get involved. People can join in National Wear Red Day on Friday 24 February or choose to organise their own fundraising event any time in February – anything goes as long as it’s red. All they need to do is order a free fundraising kit at bhf.org.uk/red or call 0300 330 0645.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 5 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation