Stratford mentor receives parliamentary award at House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
A mentor to disadvantaged students was honoured for her services to the Newham community during a ceremony at the House of Commons.
Christiana Imafidon, received a parliamentary award for the part she plays in the Excellence in Education Programme at Sarah Bonnell School in Stratford.
She said she was “humbled and honoured” by the recognition.
“I hope I can help more inner-city children to understand that learning is fun and maths is a game,” she said. “We hope we can raise the aspiration of every student to realise that every one of them is a genius.”
Other award-winners on the night included Jermain Jackman, who won the Voice UK earlier this year.
Ealing MP Virendra Sharma, who hosted the ceremony, posed for a selfie with Christiana.
The EIE programme is a non-profit, non-governmental international programme that works with schools, local groups, companies and charities interested in the educational development of students in inner-cities and any children from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute