Stratford mentor receives parliamentary award at House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
A mentor to disadvantaged students was honoured for her services to the Newham community during a ceremony at the House of Commons.
Christiana Imafidon, received a parliamentary award for the part she plays in the Excellence in Education Programme at Sarah Bonnell School in Stratford.
She said she was “humbled and honoured” by the recognition.
“I hope I can help more inner-city children to understand that learning is fun and maths is a game,” she said. “We hope we can raise the aspiration of every student to realise that every one of them is a genius.”
Other award-winners on the night included Jermain Jackman, who won the Voice UK earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
Ealing MP Virendra Sharma, who hosted the ceremony, posed for a selfie with Christiana.
The EIE programme is a non-profit, non-governmental international programme that works with schools, local groups, companies and charities interested in the educational development of students in inner-cities and any children from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Family sends 'heartfelt thanks' after missing East Ham girl found