Stratford mentor receives parliamentary award at House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
A mentor to disadvantaged students was honoured for her services to the Newham community during a ceremony at the House of Commons.
Christiana Imafidon, received a parliamentary award for the part she plays in the Excellence in Education Programme at Sarah Bonnell School in Stratford.
She said she was “humbled and honoured” by the recognition.
“I hope I can help more inner-city children to understand that learning is fun and maths is a game,” she said. “We hope we can raise the aspiration of every student to realise that every one of them is a genius.”
Other award-winners on the night included Jermain Jackman, who won the Voice UK earlier this year.
Ealing MP Virendra Sharma, who hosted the ceremony, posed for a selfie with Christiana.
The EIE programme is a non-profit, non-governmental international programme that works with schools, local groups, companies and charities interested in the educational development of students in inner-cities and any children from socially disadvantaged backgrounds.
- 1 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 2 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 3 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 4 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 7 West Ham boss Moyes disappointed by Leeds defeat
- 8 Donor appeal as East Ham man needs second kidney transplant
- 9 Steven Fry: Canning Town man accused of murder to stand trial
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021