Stratford Library re-opens after multi-million pound revamp
Stratford Library has re-opened following a major �2.2 million refurbishment with a new range of services and activities.
Stratford Library has re-opened following a major �2.2million refurbishment with a new range of services and activities.
Improvements at the library in The Grove include a new customer service area where people can use self-service kiosks for a range of transactions.
There are also dedicated areas for teenagers and children as well as a full, family events programme.
The study area has 84 spaces and an additional 13 personal computers, taking the total up to 42, with free internet access.
There is also free wi-fi.
Around �71,000 has been spent on providing more than 11,000 new books which have been added to the best condition stock that was previously on the shelves.
- 1 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 2 Kelman's first goal lifts Leyton Orient to third straight win
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 6 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Wellens wants fans 'out in force' as Leyton Orient host Mansfield
- 9 Cost of living crisis: What to do if you can't pay your bills
- 10 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
Staff will demonstrate how the self-service kiosks work.
Residents can use them to pay council bills online, check rent and council tax balances, report missed bin collections or check library accounts to renew books, CDs and DVDs.
People can also use the kiosks to register on My Newham, a new online service that allows them to instantly report a problem such as crime or antisocial behaviour, request a service or make a payment.
Cllr Andrew Baikie, Newham Council’s executive member for customer services, said: “Libraries are a vital community resource and we are aware how much people value them.
“As well as improved library facilities at Stratford we are introducing new and better ways for our customers to do business with us, saving them time and improving the accessibility of our services.”