Search

Stratford fire: Boiler blamed for high-rise block blaze

PUBLISHED: 17:25 17 April 2018 | UPDATED: 17:30 17 April 2018

The blaze at the David Lee Point building in Stratford was accidental, investigators believe. Picture: Ken Mears

The blaze at the David Lee Point building in Stratford was accidental, investigators believe. Picture: Ken Mears

Archant

A fire that engulfed a flat in a Stratford apartment block was likely sparked by a faulty boiler.

The blaze which destroyed a 17th floor flat in the David Lee Point early on Monday morning was accidental, investigators believe.

About 100 residents fled their homes in the 21-storey building in Leather Gardens during the fire, when firefighters received the first of 26 reports of a blaze at 1.22am.

A total of 58 firefighters, accompanied by eight fire engines, took an hour and a half to bring the flames under control.

Residents honked their horns in the car park and banged on doors to alert others, neighbours told the Recorder.

No-one was reported injured, according to London Fire Brigade.

The Brigade said crews from Stratford, Plaistow, Leyton, East Ham, Bethnal Green and surrounding stations attended the scene.

The side of the block remains charred with visible damage to the pipes on the affected property’s balcony.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Newham Recorder