Stratford diner’s cheapest Christmas dinner - for �1.89
We’re all looking for a bargain at Christmas - but one restauranter in Stratford may have bitten off more than he can chew.
Bobby Chan, manager of The Olive Grove in The Grove, says word has spread around Newham about his Christmas dinner for �1.89.
Last year, Bobby and owner Mostaque Ahmed read about an eaterie in Lancashire that created the UK’s thriftiest festive feast for �1.99 and set about trying to beat them - and he has even managed to make a 42p profit margin.
He gave out posters advertising the feat in local churches and soon found himself getting calls from all over the borough.
Bobby said: “People just started talking to everybody, it was word of mouth.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had people phoning up from Plaistow and Forest Gate asking if we can reserve a table but sometimes it comes to the point where we don’t have a table and they have to wait outside.”
While the dish is a fine novelty that is bringing in the customers during a recession, Bobby says he has a much more generous motive in keeping with the spirit of Christmas.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Bobby said: “We’re doing it mainly for the old people who don’t have very much money.
“We went round the old people’s homes, I know some of the caretakers in them, and between 12 o’clock and 3 o’clock we get a lot of elderly people.
“They can’t afford to buy a Christmas dinner so for �1.89, they can come in with a group of their friends and they can enjoy themselves. It’s like a day out for them.”
Have you seen a Christmas dinner cheaper than The Olive Grove’s? Write to us at email@example.com, Tweet us @NewhamRecorder, or Facebook us at www.facebook.com/Newham.Recorder.