Stratford choir reach final of BBC talent show
- Credit: BBC/Twenty Twenty Brighton/Mark Johnson
A community choir from Stratford are just one performance away from being crowned the best a capella singers in Britain.
For the past five weeks, Stratford East Singers have been wowing television audiences with their performances on The Naked Choir with Gareth Malone.
Around 125 groups auditioned back in February, with eight selected to feature on the BBC Two programme.
Last night’s episode saw the community choir become one of just three vocal groups to reach the final.
“It’s a fantastic opportunity for us to reach the final,” said choir member Abena Adofo.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve had a lot of support from people in Newham; we’ve had people come up to us and ask for photos.
“We want to show Stratford in a good light.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
Last night’s semi-final saw the choir, based at Theatre Royal Stratford East, tasked with making a music video to a song of their choice in just one week.
Their performance of Wonder, by Naughty Boy and Emeli Sande, included backdrops familiar in the borough.
Throughout the competition, the singers have performed a varied repertoire, with Abena citing Beyonce’s Single Ladies as her favourite.
“It was a real challenge,” she said.
“The week before, we performed Abba and we were thinking about how we were going to top it.
“That was the week when people started to really recognise us.”
The Stratford East Singers will compete against the all-male Birmingham six-piece Sons of Pitches and Choral Stimulation, formed by University of Glasgow students, in the final at Camden’s Koko.
“It’s something we never thought we’d do,” added Wenona Elie.
“It’s been an amazing experience, and we’ve met some really lovely people.
“Gareth really knows his stuff and we learnt a lot from him from day one.”
While the singers are keeping tight-lipped about their success in the final – “you’ll have to watch it” – being on the show is certainly helping to boost singing in east London.
“We’ve had people get in touch with us asking if we’ve got any spaces,” said Wenona.
The final of The Naked Choir with Gareth Malone will be shown on Tuesday at 9pm on BBC Two.