Stratford Centre visitors rise after Westfield opens
Early indications suggest the arrival of Westfield Stratford City has paid dividends for the Stratford Centre’s visitor figures.
Around 2.1 million people used the Broadway complex in the November, up by almost a third on the same time last year.
It was down on the previous month’s 2.4 million visitors, but footfall was still up by 28% when compared to the same point in October 2010.
The figures appear to have dampened fears that Westfield would tempt shoppers away from the existing offering.
Experts put the rise down to more people coming into the town centre and seeing what Stratford had to offer.
You may also want to watch:
Jamie Hodge, from the Stratford Renaissance Partnership, said the two centres complemented each other.
He said: “A lot of people who come to Westfield have to come to the Stratford Centre anyway depending on how they are travelling in.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 9 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“It has market stalls and it has its own niche and more value offerings.
“We aren’t surprised by this, it is a positive story for Stratford.”
The figures appear to bear out this theory - with the centre seeing its sharpest rise in September, the month Westfield Stratford City opened.
A total of 2.45 million people visited the centre, a rise of 37% on the 1.78 million visitors in September 2010.
“To be honest, I didn’t worry when Westfield came.”
Andrew Norton, Stratford Centre manager, said: “Customers appreciate having choice and we know the market has maintained its appeal which is positive for the surrounding retailers too.”