Stratford border gets Olympic makeover
Volunteers gathered on the border of Stratford and Bow to give Three Mills Green an Olympic spruce.
Young and old travelled all across London to help tidy up Three Mills Green, part of the 10,000 acre, 26 mile-long Lee Valley Regional Park.
The park Authority teamed up with the Capital Clean Up campaign for the event to ensure the area was looking its best before east London welcomes visitors for the Olympic Games.
A partnership campaign led by the Mayor of London as part of his Team London programme, the volunteering team brought their enthusiasm to a spot of painting, decorating and litter picking.
Glen Turnbull, a volunteer from Poplar in Tower Hamlets, said: “As a local resident and volunteer, I am keen to be part of improving my local area not only for myself but for other visitors also.”
You may also want to watch:
Sponsored by Games partner P&G, the Capital Clean Up campaign is now in its fifth year and has organised over 1,000 clean up events.
David Hutley, community engagement and volunteers office for the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority, said: “This type of volunteering activity gives people from all backgrounds a fantastic opportunity to work together to create something of immense value to their environment, wildlife and local community in the run up to the London 2012 Games and beyong to create a lasting legacy for years to come.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
“The volunteers that came have all been fantastic, they have worked extremely hard and helped us achieve so much.”
To volunteer for the Lee Valley Regional Park, email email@example.com.