Stratford bank workers sing for charity boost
Newham bankers won runners up in a London-wide talent contest by singing their way to victory and raised �12,000 for a popular cancer charity while they were at it.
Singers from the Stratford branch of Barclays bank formed the Swagga Sisters which was made up of cashier Hayley Taylor, assistant manager Jas Cheema and personal banker Amina Algullah and they came second in the Barclays Got Talent contest to raise money for Macmillian Cancer Support.
Hayley said: “I am really surprised, I did not think I had the talent and I’m so glad everyone liked it. It is a great achievement for us as a group from Stratford.
“I’m scared but it is for a good cause so even if I embarrass myself I don’t care.”
Donations during the show raised �12,374 to fund a new a GP facilitator in Wandsworth and grants for people affected by cancer in Greater London.
You may also want to watch:
The previous year’s winner was another talent from Newham, vocalist Rachel Hare who is an assistant manager at the East Ham Barclays branch.
Rachel returned to fight for her crown, opening the show with Cee Lo Green’s “Forget You” but she did not place in the top three this year.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Macmillan Cancer Support representative Carla Morini said: “Barclays Got Talent is an awesome event and so much fun, everyone really gets involved.”