Stratford agency raises cash for cancer charity
A property lettings specialist has raised over �16,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support, exceeding its own expectations.
Belvoir, which has offices on Dock Road in the Docklands and Leytonstone Road in Stratford, originally set a goal of �10,000 when it launched its campaign with a ‘Go Green Day’ on February 1 last year.
But it achieved that figure within the first seven months and spurred on by this success, the company decided to continue with its efforts.
Dorian Gonsalves, chief executive of the company, said: “Macmillan is a fantastic charity, which helps so many people and is well known to all our franchise owners, as well as landlords and tenants, who have been extremely generous in their support. The campaign has united Belvoir offices across the UK and enabled us to work towards a common goal.”
Among the range of inventive, challenging and often humorous money-spinning activities undertaken by staff were sponsored sky dives, a 10k road race, charity golf tournaments, bike rides and a sponsored silence.
Gemma Shaw, Macmillan Fundraising Manager, said: “This level of support is a remarkable achievement over the course of one year and I am overwhelmed at the fantastic amount of money raised by Belvoir office owners, their staff, clients and friends.
“This money will truly make a difference to those people who hear the words: “I’m sorry, you have cancer.”
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 5 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 6 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 7 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
“The money raised will be spent in a number of ways. One example is covering the �9,387 weekly cost of running our CancerLine (0800 808 0000). CancerLine deals with, on average 760 calls and emails a week from people affected by cancer providing them with essential information as well as practical and emotional support.”