Stoptober: Vaping helps Recorder photographer quit smoking
- Credit: Archant
Recorder photographer Paul Bennett had been a smoker since he was just 14 years old.
But now, more than five decades on, he’s made the switch to e-cigarettes and hasn’t had a puff on a regular fag for three weeks.
Although it’s early days, he is confident that vaping could have finally enabled him to kick the habit.
“I’ve not even looked for some tobacco so I suppose that I have packed up without even meaning to,” Paul said.
“I didn’t buy the thing and tell myself that I was going to give up, I never made myself any promises, but it seems to be going that way.”
He previously smoked about half an ounce of tobacco a day but is now getting his fix from puffing on his nicotine e-cigarette.
Unlike many smokers, Paul had never contemplated quitting despite encouragement from his family and friends.
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
“It has been a habit and I didn’t think that I had the willpower,” he admitted. “When I’ve run out of fags in the past I have got quite moody so I thought I knew the outcome if I had decided to try and pack it up.”
He decided to make the switch after beginning to feel the effects of his addiction.