Stephen Timms’ summer school students present work to MP
- Credit: Archant
To celebrate the end of a three-week summer school students presented their work and received certificates on Friday.
Youngsters on the Stephen Timms’ summer programme impressed the East Ham MP by sharing their work and talking about the skills they had acquired over the three week period.
The Stephen Timms’ Summer School began this summer and was designed to give young people in Newham a practical insight into politics at national, local and grass roots levels.
Sad the programme had come to end students took to Twitter on Friday to say how much they enjoyed it.
@Sammyaktaar_said: “I’ve had an amazing three weeks thanks to @STSS_14, sad that it’s over but this program has motivated me to become more engaged in politics.”
You may also want to watch:
@Miss_Nilufa said: “Already missing the summer school. Thanks to @stephenctimms and @STSS_14 for everything!”
The first week was split between the House of Commons in Westminster and Newham Council, where students received introductory training in public speaking, speech writing, advocacy, media handling and campaigning.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
The remaining two weeks were spent working on issues and projects relevant to the local community.
Graduates of the programme gained a solid understanding of the political process and had the opportunity to take a peak behind the scenes in parliament.