Stephen Timms’ summer school students present work to MP
- Credit: Archant
To celebrate the end of a three-week summer school students presented their work and received certificates on Friday.
Youngsters on the Stephen Timms’ summer programme impressed the East Ham MP by sharing their work and talking about the skills they had acquired over the three week period.
The Stephen Timms’ Summer School began this summer and was designed to give young people in Newham a practical insight into politics at national, local and grass roots levels.
Sad the programme had come to end students took to Twitter on Friday to say how much they enjoyed it.
@Sammyaktaar_said: “I’ve had an amazing three weeks thanks to @STSS_14, sad that it’s over but this program has motivated me to become more engaged in politics.”
You may also want to watch:
@Miss_Nilufa said: “Already missing the summer school. Thanks to @stephenctimms and @STSS_14 for everything!”
The first week was split between the House of Commons in Westminster and Newham Council, where students received introductory training in public speaking, speech writing, advocacy, media handling and campaigning.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 8 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 9 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
The remaining two weeks were spent working on issues and projects relevant to the local community.
Graduates of the programme gained a solid understanding of the political process and had the opportunity to take a peak behind the scenes in parliament.