Stabbed East Ham MP sees most constituents
East Ham MP Stephen Timms has topped a list of MPs for holding constituent surgeries.
The list was compiled by the BBC and included responses from 64 out of 73 London MPs.
Research suggests that the average London MP held 48 surgeries last year lasting two-and-a-half hours each, seeing a total of 720 constituents.
Mr Timms said he saw 2,300 constituents in 2011.
He was stabbed twice in the stomach by Roshonara Choudhry while holding a constituency meeting at the Beckton Globe centre on May 14 2010, just days after the General Election.
You may also want to watch:
The former Treasury Minister needed surgery at The Royal London Hospital after the attack. He made a full recovery and returned to holding regular meetings with his constituents just weeks later.
His attacker, who said she “wanted revenge for the people of Iraq”, was convicted of attempted murder and two counts of possessing knives after a trial lasting just a day.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 5 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
She was given a life sentence and told she must serve at least 15 years before being considered for release.