Stabbed East Ham MP sees most constituents
East Ham MP Stephen Timms has topped a list of MPs for holding constituent surgeries.
The list was compiled by the BBC and included responses from 64 out of 73 London MPs.
Research suggests that the average London MP held 48 surgeries last year lasting two-and-a-half hours each, seeing a total of 720 constituents.
Mr Timms said he saw 2,300 constituents in 2011.
He was stabbed twice in the stomach by Roshonara Choudhry while holding a constituency meeting at the Beckton Globe centre on May 14 2010, just days after the General Election.
You may also want to watch:
The former Treasury Minister needed surgery at The Royal London Hospital after the attack. He made a full recovery and returned to holding regular meetings with his constituents just weeks later.
His attacker, who said she “wanted revenge for the people of Iraq”, was convicted of attempted murder and two counts of possessing knives after a trial lasting just a day.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
She was given a life sentence and told she must serve at least 15 years before being considered for release.