Spicy sauce father and son cooked up in garden shed sees them short-listed in business start-up final
- Credit: Archant
A father and son who started producing a spicy chilli sauce from the family’s garden shed in Manor Park has reached the final of a start-up business competition. Hardev Singh, 59, and his son Kuldip, 31, are among fifteen finalists for the Local Business Accelerators campaign, run by our newspapers’ regional press umbrella organisation the Newspaper Society.
They were among hundreds of entries who entered through newspapers across the country and are now in with a chance to win support from TV’s Dragons’ Dens panellist Deborah Meaden, the campaign’s national ambassador, £10,000 from the Business Growth Fund and other benefits.
Hardev and Kuldip have already received business mentoring from successful business man Lance Forman, who runs a salmon smokery on Fish Island overlooking the Olympic Stadium, after reaching the local heat of the competition through the Newham Recorder.
They were already selling their sauce to supermarkets in the UK, other parts of Europe and South Africa. But with the help of Mr Forman and his contacts they have now signed a deal to deliver their spicy sauces to a delicatessen chain in New York, which could be the beginning of them conquering the American market. Hardev Signh is now close to becoming a millionaire.
You may also want to watch:
Read next week’s Newham Recorder for our feature on the story behind the family business.
- 1 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 6 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
- 7 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 8 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford