Search

Smoke alarm saves Plaistow house from lasting fire damage

PUBLISHED: 14:30 10 January 2012 | UPDATED: 14:41 10 January 2012

A house in Plaistow escaped serious damage after a fire - thanks to a smoke alarm.

The occupants were watching television when it broke out in another room at the property in Upland Road just before 9pm on Monday night.

Crews from Plaistow station tackled the blaze, which was under control by 10.30pm.

It caused no lasting damage and nobody was hurt,

A Plaistow crew member said a child stumbled across “decorating equipment” which had caught alight, triggering the smoke alarm and alerting the residents.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder