Slade: I understand Whing’s decision to join Oxford
Defender decides to drop down to League Two
Defender Andrew Whing has turned his back on a new contract offer at Leyton Orient to sign for League Two side Oxford United.
The 26-year-old, who joined the O’s from Brighton last October, was offered a new one-year deal by Orient boss Russell Slade, but he has opted to join Oxford, when his current deal ends with the O’s this summer.
However, the defender goes with Slade’s blessing.
“They have offered him a longer deal, so I can understand his decision as it gives him more security,” said Slade.
You may also want to watch:
“He did a good job for us while he was here and I wish him all the best.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham