Slade: I understand Whing’s decision to join Oxford
Defender decides to drop down to League Two
Defender Andrew Whing has turned his back on a new contract offer at Leyton Orient to sign for League Two side Oxford United.
The 26-year-old, who joined the O’s from Brighton last October, was offered a new one-year deal by Orient boss Russell Slade, but he has opted to join Oxford, when his current deal ends with the O’s this summer.
However, the defender goes with Slade’s blessing.
“They have offered him a longer deal, so I can understand his decision as it gives him more security,” said Slade.
You may also want to watch:
“He did a good job for us while he was here and I wish him all the best.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election