Slade delighted as Orient players come through unscathed
O’s start with a win at Sutton
Orient manager Russell Slade was a happy man following his side’s friendly success at Sutton on Wednesday night.
Although it was the fact that his side came through the game without picking up any injuries rather than the 5-3 win that pleased the O’s chief.
“The most important thing is people not picking up injuries,” he said. “Nobody did and that was important to us.”
Kevin Lisbie, Ryan Brunt, Dean Cox and Affy Obafemi (2) were all on target in the club’s first pre-season game on a night when the visitors fielded six of their eight summer signings.
You may also want to watch:
“It was entertaining,” said Slade. “There were eight goals, some good things and some not so good things defensively.
“What I am looking for at this stage is fitness, blowing away the cobwebs in the first game.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
“The shape and the structure will come as we play more games.”
Orient changed their whole team at half time, giving trials to Martin Rowlands, Joe Turner and George Saunders, as well as giving six second year scholars a run out.
Orient – first half: Jones, Odubajo, McSweeney, Baudry, Sawyer, Smith, James, Griffith, Cox, Lisbie, Brunt.
Orient – second half: Allsop, Egbeku, Vanderhyde, Grace, Lee, Rowlands, Laird, Saunders, Turner, Lobjoit, Obafemi.
Goals: Lisbie (2mins), Brunt (22mins), Cox (44mins), Obafemi (65mins), Obafemi (69mins pen)