Slade delighted as Orient players come through unscathed
O’s start with a win at Sutton
Orient manager Russell Slade was a happy man following his side’s friendly success at Sutton on Wednesday night.
Although it was the fact that his side came through the game without picking up any injuries rather than the 5-3 win that pleased the O’s chief.
“The most important thing is people not picking up injuries,” he said. “Nobody did and that was important to us.”
Kevin Lisbie, Ryan Brunt, Dean Cox and Affy Obafemi (2) were all on target in the club’s first pre-season game on a night when the visitors fielded six of their eight summer signings.
You may also want to watch:
“It was entertaining,” said Slade. “There were eight goals, some good things and some not so good things defensively.
“What I am looking for at this stage is fitness, blowing away the cobwebs in the first game.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“The shape and the structure will come as we play more games.”
Orient changed their whole team at half time, giving trials to Martin Rowlands, Joe Turner and George Saunders, as well as giving six second year scholars a run out.
Orient – first half: Jones, Odubajo, McSweeney, Baudry, Sawyer, Smith, James, Griffith, Cox, Lisbie, Brunt.
Orient – second half: Allsop, Egbeku, Vanderhyde, Grace, Lee, Rowlands, Laird, Saunders, Turner, Lobjoit, Obafemi.
Goals: Lisbie (2mins), Brunt (22mins), Cox (44mins), Obafemi (65mins), Obafemi (69mins pen)