Sister Souljah to visit Stratford to lauch new book
An american author and former rap star will be speaking at a bookshop to launch her latest novel during Black History Month.
Sister Souljah will discuss her book A Deeper Love Inside at the Stratford Picture House on October 11 at an event organised by the Newham Bookshop.
Ms Souljah’s first novel, The Coldest Winter, about the hip-hop generation, made the New York Times best sellers list when it came out in 1999 and has since sold over one million copies worldwide.
Her new book is a coming of age story that revisits the characters her first through the eyes of a forgotten middle sister.
Sister Souljah played a famous role in the 1992 US presidential election, when her comments about riots in Los Angeles were attacked by candidate Bill Clinton.
You may also want to watch:
This became known as the “Sister Souljah moment” and is now used in politics to mean a moment when a politician distances themselves from a more extreme person or group.
For more information visit www.newhambooks.co.uk
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 7 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 10 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School