Signing off! How the Recorder helped solve Canning Town postcode riddle
An eagle-eyed Canning Town resident would say the postcodes on these signs were not exactly up their street.
These two pictures show that, if the signage is to be believed, Wouldham Road is in Stratford or West Ham while Hallsville Road, the next street over, is in either East Ham or Beckton.
In fact, both streets are in Canning Town, a stone’s throw from the Undergound and DLR station, so the correct postcode should be E16 just like the sign for neighbouring street Silvertown Way.
The baffling error was pointed out by Canning Town local and Twitter follower Gary Martin who shared these pictures with us on the social networking site, bemused as to how three connecting streets could supposedly be in three different postcodes.
The Recorder contacted Newham Council who corrected the Wouldham Road sign on Friday followed by the Hallsville Road sign on Monday.
A council spokesperson said: “We thank the Recorder for bringing this to our attention. We’re sorry if anyone has been confused by the signs. They have now been put right.”
Send us your oddball findings around the borough on Twitter @NewhamRecorder or to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 We need to put the ball in the net says Rice after West Ham defeat at City
- 5 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies