Signing off! How the Recorder helped solve Canning Town postcode riddle
An eagle-eyed Canning Town resident would say the postcodes on these signs were not exactly up their street.
These two pictures show that, if the signage is to be believed, Wouldham Road is in Stratford or West Ham while Hallsville Road, the next street over, is in either East Ham or Beckton.
In fact, both streets are in Canning Town, a stone’s throw from the Undergound and DLR station, so the correct postcode should be E16 just like the sign for neighbouring street Silvertown Way.
The baffling error was pointed out by Canning Town local and Twitter follower Gary Martin who shared these pictures with us on the social networking site, bemused as to how three connecting streets could supposedly be in three different postcodes.
The Recorder contacted Newham Council who corrected the Wouldham Road sign on Friday followed by the Hallsville Road sign on Monday.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokesperson said: “We thank the Recorder for bringing this to our attention. We’re sorry if anyone has been confused by the signs. They have now been put right.”
Send us your oddball findings around the borough on Twitter @NewhamRecorder or to email@example.com
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 6 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas