Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- Credit: PA
London’s non-essential shops, hairdressers, gyms and salons opened their doors for the first time in more than three months this morning.
Hundreds of eager customers braved the snow and sleet as they descended on Westfield in Newham, with long queues outside branches of TK Maxx and Primark.
“We continue to run one-way systems, heightened hygiene methods and mandatory mask-wearing to ensure a safe place for visitors and employees,” a Westfield spokesperson said.
The independent boutiques in Old Spitalfields Market also reopened their doors promoting a “shop local” message.
Market stalls at the site will start trading again tomorrow.
You may also want to watch:
“Our retail shops are back and we couldn’t be more delighted,” an Old Spitalfields spokesperson said.
“Come and say ‘hi’, show your support and shop local.”
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Beauty businesses said appointments had been flooding in since Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed they could reopen last week.
Some salons said they had expanded opening hours and had worked flat out to get their businesses ready for the rush.
Treatwell, a hair and beauty booking website, said its surveys had shown more than half of UK consumers planned to return to a salon immediately or within a few days of reopening.