Services at Canning Town local service centre moving to library
Services provided at Canning Town Local Service Centre (LSC) will be moving to Canning Town Library later this summer.
The library will be fully refurbished to provide these services through enhanced self-service points where customers can deal with the council quickly and easily. The library is closed until mid-September while improvements take place.
Residents can also access many council facilities by visiting www.newham.gov.uk, either from the comfort of your own home, or by using the internet for free in any of the borough’s libraries.
The library will offer:
• enhanced self-service points where customers will be able to deal with a wide range of straight forward council transactions quickly and easily
• quick access to services and information based around your needs
• services in a clean, bright and friendly environment
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 6 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
• advice on how to access council services
• improved access to services from one location
One facility that will no longer be available is the council’s cash office in Canning Town. A council spokesman said there are now many other ways to pay your rent, council tax and other charges, including by Direct Debit, standing order, online and by telephone.
Guidance will be available locally, including money management advice sessions, to help residents access these other payment methods. Collecting cash payments in council offices costs the council a large amount of money each year. Familes can still pay rent and council tax using Allpay cards in the nearby Post Office, as well as at many other shops in the area.
To find out about alternative payment methods visit www.newham.gov.uk/payit or pick up a leaflet in your LSC.
For more information about all the changes taking place, speak to a member of staff at your nearest LSC or visit www.newham.gov.uk/counciltax