Second arrest after fatal road accident in Canning Town
Second arrest after woman dies in road accident
A second man has been arrested after a fatal road accident.
A 24-year-old has attended a local police station and was arrested on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of a collision, and causing death by dangerous driving. He was later bailed to return in late July pending further enquiries.
A woman was killed after the hit-and run road accident involving a van in Canning Town.
Elana Fanaru, 27, from Edmonton, died on Thursday from head injuries sustained in the incident in Silvertown Way at 12.15am on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
She was crossing the road opposite the Canning Town bus terminus when she was involved in an accident with a white van travelling south along Silvertown Way.
Miss Fanaru was using a pedestrian crossing at the time.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
Police said the vehicle failed to stop at the scene and a white van was subsequently recovered abandoned nearby.
The victim was taken to Newham General hospital before being transferred to The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel, where she died.
Anyone with any information should contact (020) 8597 4874.
On Sunday, another man attended Forest Gate police station and was arrested on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of collision and dangerous driving.
He was bailed to return on a date in July pending further enquiries.
A post-mortem is due to be held.